Wednesday, November 20, 2019 / by Heather Schelling
Looking to sell your home and need a few ideas to attract buyers? Here’s a quick list to get you started.
1. Bake cookies and/or display cut flowers. Buyers love the smell of freshly baked cookies or bread hot out of the oven. That smell lingers and invites them to want to stay longer. It’s a nice touch that shows you want to offer something to the seller. Fresh cut flowers add life to any room. Be sure the toss when they’ve seen better days.
2. Make any necessary repairs or offer to make them prior to closing. If possible, take care of any repairs before you list your home for sale. If you’re rushing to put your home on the market, ask your Realtor to list any repairs that you agree to finish prior to closing. You may also elect to have those repairs done after closing. The cost can be deducted from your proceeds.
3. Spiffy up the front yard: mow, weed, edge, pick up debris. Display seasonal potted plants on the porch.
4. Stain/paint front door, trim, and porch – hang a seasonal wreath.
5. Organize storage areas – neat and tidy shows overall regard to care of the property.
6. Get a Home Warranty and offer to pay for the Buyer’s coverage. They run about $450 and offer peace of mind for the Buyer. As a Seller, the Seller’s coverage can cover unexpected expenses during the time the home is listed for sale and in the escrow process.
7. Change all the light bulbs. New lighting can brighten a room, especially during the winter months.
8. Have the furnace serviced. It’s common to ask the Seller to have the furnace serviced, by doing so in advance, you can get in front of any potential issues.
9. Offer a flooring allowance if necessary. If the flooring is showing signs of wear and tear, consider offering to pay for new flooring. Set a dollar amount to disclose so that agents can share that when showing your home.
10. Wash the windows and siding. Clear windows and clean siding is a sign that you’re on top of home maintenance.
These are just a few ideas to wow home buyers. Anything you can do to stand out amongst the competition will set you apart from the competition.
Until next time!