Monday, February 18, 2019 / by Connie Tracy
Staging your house can make you money. Fifty percent of homes increased in value when they were staged. Helping buyers fall in love with your property takes more than running the vacuum and fluffing the pillows: It’s all about decluttering, repairing, updating, and depersonalizing. Did you know that de-cluttered homes sell on average 80% faster? It helps buyers envision the home as their own. Before your eyes turn into dollar signs, keep in mind staging isn’t guaranteed to get you more money. But it’s an important marketing tool to help you compete at the right price, which means you can sell faster. So, as you are preparing to sell your home, think about what buyers will want to see as they walk through your home.
Here is the ultimate home staging checklist to use as a resource as you prepare to sell your home:
* Remove unnecessary furniture...you want the room to feel spacious.
* Pull your furniture away from the wall and arrange it in a conversational configuration.
* Replace dark curtains with lighter colors for an airy inviting feel.
* Use bright coordinated colors for accessories, such as pillows and blankets, that are appealing to the eye and add a splash of color and design.
* Remove or tuck away wires and cords.
* Pack away family photos...I know... but really, buyers want to picture their family in the home.
* Properly set the dining table... remember less is more... keep the gold chargers and the collection of candles in the cabinet.
* Hang light colored ceiling to floor curtains.
* Open blinds to add in natural light.
* Use 100 watt light bulbs to add in more light.
* Add houseplants to add life and color into the space.
* Remove most items off the counters.
* Add a bowl of fruit or vase of fresh flowers to add color.
* Freshen up the cabinets with paint or stain and replace old knobs and hardware.
* Put away the magnets on the frig and clean the handle.
* Scrub the walls, backsplash, cabinets... Make them sparkle.
* Clean and organize the pantry. Store items in decorative baskets and remove some items to make it look bigger.
* Remove the TV or other entertainment items to depersonalize and give it a serene feeling.
* Use fresh white or neutral textured linens on bed. Keep it gender neutral.
* Use throw pillows... color is okay.
* Bed should not be pushed in a corner.
* Pack away 50% of items in your closet....This will make the closet feel larger.
* Put jewelry and other valuables in a safe spot.
* Consider giving an extra room a new identity as a sewing/craft room, home office, workout room or another interesting function.
* It's degrime time: Scrub and sanitize EVERYTHING. Anything that steam touches NEEDS to be deep cleaned.
* Spend extra time scrubbing the bathroom grout and recaulk around the tub if necessary.
* Remove clutter from the counters and scrub it until it gleams.
* Speaking of gleaming.. remove hard water stains from toilet and shower head...try vinegar.
* Put away toothbrush and any toiletry items.
* Give the sink a whiff... smell some odorous stench? Deodorize with baking soda, hot water, or vinegar. Not at the same time, you will have a volcanic explosion in your pipes. Think back to the science fair projects when you were a kid...
* Hang a new shower curtain or clean the old one.
* Keep the toilet seat down... always. If needed, replace the toilet seat and fix any leaks.
* Create a luxury spa feel.. add fluffy white towels, new bath mat, soaps, candles, and plants.
* Clean and paint the front door.
* Add new attractive house numbers.
* Pack away any shoes or coats by the front door.
* Add a new welcome mat to the entryway.
* Make sure any sign of pets are stored away.
* Don't hide belongings in closets and corners leave it clean and organized.
DAY of SHOWING:
* Add a seasonal touch. Simmer some cinnamon sticks in fall and winter. In the spring put some fresh cut flowers in a decorative vase.
* Tidy up like you have never tidied.
* Avoid cooking any meals for yourself. Instead bake cookies or bread to leave a welcoming aroma.
* Take off and relax... After all that staging work you deserve a day at the spa while potential home buyers are falling in love with your home.
Check out my website at connie.viewhomesinspokane.com for more helpful articles for buyers and sellers! The more you know, the more prepared you will be in this competitive market.
Ready to sell your home? Want to find the home of your dreams? Have any questions?
Call or shoot me a text and I will be happy to share more with you about selling or buying a home!
Your friendly Real Estate Expert....Cheers!
Haven Real Estate Group