Wednesday, February 20, 2019 / by Ellen Sanford
I know a lot of sellers don't to sell right now and want to wait until spring because of the weather itself. However, there are a lot of buyers ready to purchase a home now. That means if you are brave enough to put your house on the market to get out before your competition, you could sell your home more quickly and at the price your home is worth, rather than waiting until the spring when the market becomes flooded with more homes for buyers to choose from.
If you are a wise and savvy home seller, and ready to hit the market before your competition, let's take a quick moment to go over some basic safety tips for having your home show ready.
1. Make sure the driveway is clear of snow and ice, as much as possible.
2. Pathways and steps are clear of snow and ice, again, as much as possible.
3. Have gravel or de-icer down to prevent any unwanted falls.
3. If you have outbuildings, clear a path through the snow so that buyers can get out to look inside.
4. Have your agent put a sign buy the door for shoes to be removed or have a basket of booties for people to cover their feet with.
5. Make sure that you have homeowners insurance in place with liability coverage.
6. Also, talk to your insurance agent about an increased liability policy or umbrella policy. If you have assets other than your home you want to make sure that you have enough coverage to always protect your assets.
Wait, oh no!!! Did I say something about liability? Yes, I did, because as any good Real Estate Agent would do, our job is too protect our clients best interest. A quick phone call to your insurance agent is never a bad idea as you prepare to get ready to put your home on the market.
We all love the Northwest and the beauty we live in, with four beautiful seasons and plenty of snow. Or, perhaps you may just be one of those people that hate the snow and can't wait to get out of here. Either way, the fact of the matter is, yes, in our area we do get winter. And sometimes, even record winters! For sellers, coming on the market in January or February could be of huge benefit because having fewer properties on the market creates less competition, therefore more buyers for your property. With a few extra steps with clearing snow and making sure you are protected, it could very well be worth every shovel of snow you scoop!