Tuesday, November 12, 2019 / by Connie Tracy
It is important for you to know the whole purpose of showing a home to a potential buyer... It is to cross off their list of must-sees. The intention is to cross off as many homes as possible before they make their final decision. Your goal is not to have your house crossed off the ongoing list.
Here are 10 tips for WOWING your potential buyers:
1. Leave the house! There is nothing more unsettling to the buyer than having the seller lurking. This makes it very difficult for the buyer to picture themselves in your home- they tend to feel more like a guest than a potential owner.
2. Be Flexible! It can be annoying to have a last minute call, but that just means they may have been driving around and saw your home and liked it enough to call. Show the house! This could be just the right person to buy your home!
3. Lights/blinds! Turn EVERY single light on in the home and pen every window. These will make the house seem brighter and bigger. Natural light makes the home look more open.
4. Clean! Clean up- make sure your home is always ready to show with a 20 minute notice.
5. Pets! As much as love our fur babies... believe me, I am with you 100%! They need to be out of the home. Not all people like animals and may even be afraid of them. Have a plan for your pets. If you are at work, place them in a crate in the laundry room with the door shut. Leave a note on the door to warn the buyers pets are around.
6. Temperature! Heating and cooling can be expensive. But make sure you leave the AC on at 68-70 degrees in the hotter months. When winter hits, leave the heat at a comfortable 70-72 degrees. The last thing you want are your potential buyers being too hot or too cold as they look at your home. No Bueno!
7. Windows/fireplace! If it is a beautiful day out, leave the windows open so a cool breeze can come through the home. Nothing says Relax more than a breeze coming through the home, unless of course it is freezing outside, then turn on the fireplace to add that warmth and cozy feeling.
8. Music! Turn some easy listening music on- background sound puts people at ease and in turn makes them want to stay longer in your home.
9. Scents/candles! Use a plug in freshener or light some candles before you have the showing. Use less abrasive smells...look for fresh light scents. Smell can totally turn a buyer off. This is a tricky thing.... Stay away from florals.
10. Fliers and brochures! Have a flier with pictures of the house. Chances are, the buyer has seen a gazillion homes and will want to mull over it in the evening. This will be a great reminder why they loved your home.
You are now ready! You have all the lights on, music playing softly in the background, yummy smells, and a clean home! Let's get your home sold!